When it comes to maintaining or upgrading your home, you probably have a lot of questions about roofing. Whether it’s about materials, costs or the installation process, smart homeowners seek clarity and assurance as they consider the best plan for maintaining, repairing or replacing the roof on their home. Here are the most frequently asked questions we receive about roofing.
What are the different types of roofing materials?
• Asphalt shingles – the most common due to their cost-effectiveness and ease of installation
• Metal roofing – known for its durability and energy efficiency
• Tile and slate – offers a unique aesthetic with excellent longevity but at a higher cost
• Wood shingles – provides a natural look but requires more maintenance
How much does a new roof cost?
The cost varies widely based on the material you choose and the size and shape of your roof. On average, homeowners can expect to spend anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000, with high-end materials and complex roof designs costing more.
How long does a roof last?
• Asphalt shingles – 15-30 years
• Metal roofing – 40-70 years
• Tile and slate – 50-100 years
• Wood shingles – 25-30 years
How do I know when it’s time to replace my roof?
• shingles that are curling, cracking or missing
• granules in the gutters (for an asphalt roof)
• a sagging roof deck
• leaks inside your home
• advanced age of the roof
Can you install a new roof over an old one?
While it’s possible to install a new layer of shingles over an existing one, it’s not always advisable. It can add extra weight to your home’s structure and might mask underlying issues. It’s best to consult with our experts to see what’s best for your roof.
How long does it take to replace my roof?
Usually one day. This includes removing the old roof and underlayment, installing new underlayment and shingles, and thoroughly cleaning up.
What maintenance does my roof require?
Regular maintenance includes cleaning the gutters, inspecting for damage, and ensuring proper attic ventilation. Annual or semi-annual inspections by a professional can catch issues early.
Have more questions or need professional advice? Contact the Hampton Exteriors experts to get all the answers.